What’s been happening in Orem?
- Orem is well equipped with water from surface sources like the Jordanelle Reservoir, Provo River, 9 deep water wells, and 2 mountain springs.
- Orem was awarded the best tasting water in the state in 2016.
- New Bus Rapid Transit line being built with previously voted on and approved quarter cent sales tax revenue, Utah Department of Transportation funding, and a Small Starts Grant from the Federal Government. It will help take cars off of the road, lower road wear by 30%, and reduce air pollution.
- No lanes will be lost with BRT.
- New landscaping will be placed on the University Parkway.
- BRT will connect UVU, BYU, University Place Mall, Southtowne Mall, Provo City Center, and the Frontrunner Stations in Orem & Provo.
- Stopped proposed mandatory utility fee.
- No additional bond debt approved.
- Proposed a new demand model for construction in place of a debt model.
- UIA now cash flow positive.
- Continuing work to limit losses and privatize.
- No new bond debt.
- Orem City bond debt is down by 27%.
- Sales tax revenues are up by $3.9 Million annually.
- Orem’s bond rating is AA+.
- 88% increase in general fund reserves or city rainy day fund.
- .Worked hard with the legislature to increase funding for roads by $500,000 annually
- Sold bond high and bought low to free up $1M for Center Street rebuild.
- Fixed 234 Pot Holes so far in 2017.
- Performed 121 miles of road maintenance in the last year alone.
- Ongoing study to research how to alleviate traffic congestion.
- City Council turned down 3 new
high densitydevelopments, and put in place new Neighborhood Plans to protect our bedroom community.
- In 2014, put a moratorium on apartments that
doesnot allow commercial zones to be changed to PD or High DensityApartment Zones along the major thoroughfares of the city.
- Entrance to the city cemetery redone with new trees and rejuvenating sign.
- Sidewalks in front of Scera replaced.
- New waterfall, rock feature with flowers, and Orem Sign on North side of Center Street next to the freeway.
- Paid for 296 dumpsters to haul waste to landfill, assisting citizens with Spring Cleanup.
Parks & Recreation
- Built a new dog park, a new all-ability park, and a new splash pad.
- Two new parks planned and approved for 2018-
Pickelballcourt complex and a new bike skills park.
- Relined the lap pool and built a new indoor children’s recreation pool at the Recreation Center.
- Put away $1 Million toward refurbishing of the recreation center.
- Orem’s utility rates are 23% lower than the average Utah city.
- Switched all street lights to LED lights, which is now saving half of the energy costs from 4 years ago. The city is now saving $51,000 a month in smart energy technology.
- Free Wifi is available at Timpanogos and City Center Park, and will soon be at Palisade Park, Nielsen’s Grove, Scera Park, and Scera Shell.
- Over 182 new businesses have come to Orem in the last 4 years according to the Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Trader Joes is setting up shop in Orem in 2018.
- Orem City has annexed in over 250 acres of new ground in the last 4 years.
- Helped an organic farmer save his farm in our city.
- Partnered with IHC Community Hospital to put in garden plots managed by citizens.
- Over $14 Million of new infrustructure investment in Orem City Public Works.
- Organized master plans for roads, water, storm water, water reclamation, and parks.
for Orem City Mayor
Paid for by the Committee to Re-Elect Richard Brunst